Registration: TBD (Late July or Early August)

First day of service: TBD (Dependent on Milwaukee Public Schools schedule)


What is registration?
Registration is a required in-person session at our office to verify your AmeriCorps and employment eligibility documents, review your benefits as an AmeriCorps member and review AmeriCorps guidelines. Registration won't be an all day commitment and there will be no other required events during this week.

What do I need to bring to registration?
Everyone needs to bring their Social Security Card. In addition, please bring either your passport or birth certificate and government-issued ID. Please see here for a complete list of required documents. Reach out to Erica Henderson, Admissions Manager, with any questions.


When can I request forbearance of my student loans? 
You are not able to request forbearance until you are an active AmeriCorps member. This can take up to 30 days after your start date for this benefit. Please go here to learn more about qualifying loans.

What is my stipend amount? 
You receive $630, every two weeks, before taxes. 

When is my first stipend check? 
You will receive your first stipend check at the end of your third full week with City Year. Please, budget accordingly; previous AmeriCorps members have said this transition can be difficult. 

What are my transportation benefits?
City Year AmeriCorps members will opt in or out of their transportation benefit during registration. Utilizing public transportation to travel in and around Milwaukee can save members a substantial amount of money compared to driving, parking, or using ride-sharing services. City Year highly encourages members to utilize public transportation and to consider transit options when conducting your housing search. More information about the transit pass options will be available in July.

What is the amount of the education award, or the Segal Education Award after I graduate City Year and complete my 1700 hours? 
You will receive $6,000 through AmeriCorps. Please go here for more information on how to use this award and other FAQs.

Am I eligible for SNAP benefits (food stamps, FoodShare) while in City Year? 
AmeriCorps members are eligible to apply. We will give you the necessary proof of employment during registration and will give you pointers on how to apply. Approval of this benefit is entirely up to the local government, and not up to City Year or AmeriCorps.

What are my health insurance benefits? 
All active City Year AmeriCorps members must have health insurance. City Year provides you a basic health insurance plan (it does not include dental or vision) while you are serving with City Year. If you choose to decline City Year's insurance, you must provide proof of other health insurance coverage. Reach out to the Local Recruitment Manager for more details or questions about the plan.